Saturday, March 8, 2008

Hate to Admit the Reality of the Book...

Recently I’ve read Neil Postman’s book, “Amusing Ourselves to Death.” The book, written in 1985, describes the effects of electronic media on our society. Most of its contents relate to today’s media and society. Sometimes I hate to agree with Postman’s arguments, but I can’t deny the reality of his thoughts. I think that’s what makes the book so “amusing.”


In chapter two Postman discusses his thoughts about “Media as Epistemology.” Postman compares speech, print and television epistemology. He describes ways in which people consume and trust each medium. A statistic I found on the internet that goes along with Postman’s views on media as epistemology was in an article titled, “Medium or Message? Predicting Dimensions of Political Sophistication.” The article stated, “A telephone survey data revealed that people who both frequently use and rely on newspapers outperform their television counterparts in knowledge and cognitive elaboration, but television is more effective in producing political interest and active processing of news information.”


In chapter nine, Postman describes how politics has become entertainment because of the television. This is noticeable in today’s society. With the election approaching, the candidates are plastered all over the television. They are guests on talk shows and provide commercials to help boost their campaigns. Politicians’ television presence is more for entertainment purposes and to promote the public’s interests. They have become celebrities.

Postman describes television as purely entertainment saying, “American television, in other words, is devoted entirely to supplying its audience with entertainment.” Check out my post Where's the News? to see how this statement relates to today’s society.

Although I agree with several of Postman’s arguments, some of his statements could use revising for today’s time. I don’t think today's younger generation could completely agree with Postman’s statements because they have grown up with electronic media and don’t know or rely on much else. Postman brings up this point about our culture when he says, "Television is our culture’s principle mode of knowing about itself." The majority of the younger generation's primary sources for knowledge and information are television and internet.

I wish I could quote and elaborate on several of Postman’s remarks, but if I did, I’d be typing a book of my own. Postman is snippy and snobbish at times, but his analysis of television and the media of today’s society, for the most part, are right on the nose.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

I agree completely with you that most of Postman's book I agree with, but one thing that stood out the most in my mind was the whole internet invention. When Postman wrote this book, it wasn't something that people were using everyday...eventhough we've had internet access for sometime even kid's younger than us know more than us about the internet and how to use it; thus occupying much of their time.

Melissa said...

I agree completely with you that most of Postman's book I agree with, but one thing that stood out the most in my mind was the whole internet invention. When Postman wrote this book, it wasn't something that people were using everyday...eventhough we've had internet access for sometime even kid's younger than us know more than us about the internet and how to use it; thus occupying much of their time.

Jeremiah Tyler said...

Nice blog. Many solid points. I also agreed with much of what Postman had to say and was surprised by how relevant his thoughts still are.

Megan said...

I liked how you said you hated to admit that you agreed with most of Postman’s comments because I feel the same way. I found a lot of what he said to be true in how I use media - the biggest point of which is that I seek it almost exclusively for entertainment.

Also, with the upcoming election, I notice the “news” stations talking more and more about the candidates’ images rather than their stance on important issues. Another thing that has become large in the media is feuds and comments between the candidates. Sometimes when I am watching political news I feel like I am watching a reality show.

Amy's Blog said...

Leah,
I agree with you. I think that with all of the publicity that is going on it is making our canidates become celeberities.